Nurturing intelligence and individuality in children underpins the theme of our country’s education these days.
Today, educators know that conventional teaching methods with teacher standing and teaching in front of students are no longer regarded as effective. Research in neurolinguistics has attributed the ineffectiveness of conventional teachings methods to different learning styles among individuals.
Generally speaking, there are three learning modes: Visual (V), Auditory (A) and Kinesthetic (K).
Learning with an ‘open book’ is only beneficial to visual learners, who absorb and retain information better when it is presented in words, pictures, diagrams and demonstrations. In Asia, learners tend to be visual learners due to the pictographic nature of Chinese words. However, there are auditory and kinesthetic learners too. An auditory learner prefers listening to information presented in voices, such as dialogues, discussions, lyrics, TV and radio programmes. On the other hand, kinesthetic learners prefer learning by ‘doing‘, such as games, travelling and stage play, where they can experience the learning.
Therefore, conventional classroom lecture method is invariably more advantageous to visual learners. On the contrary, to auditory and kinesthetic learners, this method is hardly engaging at all, thus leading to slow learning and unsatisfactory results. Consequently, auditory and kinesthetic learners are often regrettably and wrongly labeled as ‘stupid’ or ‘mediocre’ students.
Educational research and practice show that High 5 Learning Method™ provides young learners with the resources and exercises to use their ears, eyes, hands, mouth and mind, thus developing their abilities to see, listen and read aloud. With a balanced approach to VAK learning styles, it helps improve their focus in learning.
Meanwhile, YelaoShr® 1-to-1 Abakʊs™Arithmetic programmes train students in using their eyes (visual) to see, ears (auditory) to listen, hands (kinesthetic) to move the abacus beads, and heart (brain) to concentrate as they perform arithmetic calculations. In advanced level of abacus mental arithmetic, students can even perform arithmetic calculations in their mind. With constant stimulation to the left and right cortex, the neurons are continuously activated, thus ensuring a balanced left and right brain development.
Coupled with YelaoShr® 1-to-1 Cambridge English using High 5 Learning Method™, young learners will be able to develop their eyes, ears, tongue and touch, honing their sensory organs like honing a knife.
It is often said that our experience at 3 years old will set our future till 80. In other words, early influences have a long-term effect in our life. Helping a child to develop his or her learning ability is the most valuable gift a mother can give to her little one. With the know-how to focus on learning, and the support of technology and internet, knowledge can be easily acquired by the little one at the finger tips. Your child will be able to avoid the rat race of merely pursuing high scores in examinations and reset himself or herself on the path of lifelong learning to freely discover the joy of acquiring knowledge.
The Advantages of VAK Learning Styles & Methods
|Style||Advantages||How To Use It To Improve Learning Effectiveness?|
|Visual||1. Good in writing and drawing tables
2. Neat and efficient
3. Observant and highly aware of the surroundings
4. Able to focus on visual images and less susceptible to noise in the surroundings
|1. Use diagrams and flow charts to aid memory and comprehension
2. Use diagrams and flow charts to make notes
3. Create images to reinforce memory and speed up learning
4. Read hand notes and highlight key points with colours
5. Memorize tough points with images and marks
6. Use video or computer software to learn
|1. Good at listening and participating in group discussion
2. Absorb information faster when it is conveyed verbally
3. Good at face-to-face communication
|1. Choose a quiet environment to study
2. Record lectures or watch study-related videos for revision
3. Join group discussions or group study
4. Convert dull content or verses into song lyrics to aid memorization
5. Read aloud hand notes during revision
|Kinesthetic||1. Learn better hands-on
2. Aware of one’s ability and inability
3. Active in participating in activity-based learning such as role play
|1. Avoid sitting still for prolonged period; making handwritten notes during class helps improve learning efficiency without disturbing others
2. Good sitting posture helps improve comfort and focus
3. Participate more in experiments, field trips, tours or role-play exercises to learn from first-hand and hands-on experiences
4. Use computer to aid learning such as game-type learning materials